Each of us who practices genealogy takes some interest in the origin and provenance of the names of the families upon which our researchers focus our attention. In the case of the great majority of people of British Isles origins it is simply a matter of going to the library and looking up the surname. The surnames of people from Montbéliard are generally not among those to be found in the standard references consulted by anglophones. This article offers an English language presentation of information on the subject of the French Protestant family names which reached Nova Scotia from Montbéliard in the middle years of the eighteenth century.
Between 1954 and 1960, a Lutheran pastor in Montbéliard , named Charles Mathiot, published a treatise noting 463 surnames which were found in the former Principality of Montbéliard. It appeared in the French Lutheran montly, L'Ami Chrétien, as a serial item. With the permission of Professor J.M.Debard, president of the Société dEmulation de Montbéliard, I have translated that work. By this agency, I am able to offer the Mathiot articles on about thirty surnames which continued (sometimes in garbled form) to be used in Nova Scotia beyond the first few years of arrival in this province.
To assist those readers who are unclear as to the location of Montbéliard, it lies north of Switzerland, west of the Rhine and of Alsace.
BAILLY, Bailli, Ballif: a very widespread name in francophone areas, it refers to the diverse duties of law officers. In Montbéliard , we find Bailly at Beutal, Brognard, Dampierre, Semondans from the 15th century, and at Vieux-Charmont and Allondans from the 16th. A new line appeared at the time of the founding of the village of Frédéric-Fontaine (1588). We find a Ragon Bailly from Andelot, Champagne, among those clearing the forest of Chérimont, part of which he settled upon and started a family. Perhaps those Baillys (Etienne and Charles) who were masons at Héricourt (1704) descent from this branch.
BAINIER, Baynier, Baisnier: this well-known name in the Rupt Valley may come from bannier, a poster of banns (an order of publishment). In Montbéliard such a poster of banns was called Banvars or Banvai (BANVARD), a word which eventually designated one who kept order or guarded a field. It seems to Mathiot from the earliest known spelling that it came from Bernier or Brenier, a servant in charge of a lords kennels; or from the right of bernage, the dues for the seigneurs dogs. People of this name, called indiscriminately Bernier, Baynier or Bainier, appear at Echenans-sur-lEtang in 1431. By the 16th century the name Bernier was settled about Saint-Julien and Désandans. The name Bernier also gave rise to the name Beurnier, according to the current pronunciation.
BEGIN: in dialect the name is pronounced "Bgin" and given almost the same sound as "Pchin" (Pechin). We find Begin or Bechin in the whole region from Magny dAnigon to Montbéliard town; and Pechin in the geographic area of Badeval, Beaucourt and Dampierre-lés-Bois. Its meaning is now unknown.
BESANÇON: The authority, Dauzat, cites this as an example of a surname derived from the familys town of origin. There were people from Besançon at Montbéliard from very early times. We find them in the 15th century at Bussurel, Mandeure and Vieux-Charmont; in the 16th century at Bethoncourt and Montbéliard ; in the 17th at Brognard, Longevelle, Dung and Mesliéres. The diminutive Besancenot existed in the 14th century at Raynans.
BIGUENET, Beguenet: a name pertaining in the 17th century to Blamont, and long settled there. In 1636 we find a family of Biguenet there; in 1655 we note Isaac Beguenet among the townsmen of Blamont. Does the name originate from bégue (stammer) or from beguin (darling, hood, childs cap) in its various spellings?
BOURGEOIS, Bourgeoy: a self-explanatory name widespread almost everywhere. In the 15th century Bourgeois were at Clémont, Désandans and Dung; in the 16th at Issans, Sainte-Marie, Courcelles-lés-Montbéliard; in the 17th century at Semondans, Brognard, Valentigney, etc... In the village of Issans, where there were also some Bourgoin, one sees some errors caused by confusion between Bourgoin and Bourgeois, pronounced Bourgoy.
BOURGOGNE: A name found in many regions of France where Burgundians congregated. In Montbéliard "Burgundians" are all the neighbours in France-Comté or who arrived from there. In Etupes in 1443 we find "Jehan, dit Bourgogne". The name perpetuated itself under the forms of Bourgongne and Bourgogne. The same origin must be attributed to the Bourgoing and Bourgoin who were by the 15th century at Mandeure, then at Courcelles-lés-Mandeure. A curious transformation of the name can be observed at Issans where we find in the 16th century Bourgoy, Bourguegon, Bourgon, which last form, mispronounced, was afterwards spelled Bourbon, a name which remained, as it indicated one who came from the Bourbonais.
BOUTEILLER: Botailler, Boutoiller, etc .: "Jehan Botailler, son of the late Jehan Quaty" was found at Chagey in 1487. The name Botailer, spelled variously, is undoubtedly a nickname, coming perhaps from an obligation to a lord. The family so-named was subject to church taxes in the fief of Nans, at Chagey. The lords of Nans near Montbozon also had fiefs at Luze, Champey, etc. The Bouteillers wound up spread from Chagey to Echenans-sous-Mont Vaudois, Luze, Echenans-sur-lEtang, etc.
CERTIER, more anciently Sartier. In 1536 the vicar of Beutal was one Jehan Sartier, but he seems not to have been born there. We find the most concentrated group of Sartier (since the 16th century certier) at Longevelle. The name then spread to Lougres, Montbéliard, Genechier, Présentevillers, etc. Its original meaning under the old form Sartier may be found in the old expression essarter, which meant defricher, to clear or reclaim land.
COULON, Coulomb, Colon, Cclomb: The name is spread nearly everywhere, particularly in Montbéliard. We find representatives in 1441 at Héricourt, in 1443 at Voujaucourt, in 1458 at Présentevillers, in 1501 at Roches-lés-Blamont, in 1507 at Mesliéres where the Coulons have ever since continued, in the 16th century at Seloncourt, Mandeure, etc. The name arises from colon, a farmer formerly obligated to pay certain dues called coloniques, or perhaps from Coulomb which in old French meant pigeon? (from which also derived the word colombe.) Perhaps the two meanings arose together and were combined because they often applied in certain instances.
DAREY, Daurey, Dorrey: The first known mention of this name is found at Nommay in 1494. Then Vautherin, son of Estevenin Dorrey, appears at Coisevaux in 1499; and in 1509 we find Petrement Daurey at Coisevaux. The family remained there under the form Daurey (Darey in dialect) and spread to Luze and then to Chagey. These Dareys were makers of wooden tools, and were well-esteemed for their billhooks and axes which they sold at fairs and markets. A branch of Dareys was found at Bart between 1562 and 1619. In 1531, Hugues, a weaver and son of the late Mathis Darey, carter at Bart, was admitted as a citizen of Montbéliard; and in 1635, Michael, son of Nicolas Darey of Coisevaux, labourer, was likewise made a citizen.
ESMONNOT, Aymonnot, Esmonza: The given name Aymon gives rise to the surname Aymonnat or Esmonnot which has existed in Montbéliard since the 16th century In dialect Esmonaz, the name is found in several old documents; thus in 1511 in the register of Montbéliard appeared Jehan Exmonaz, citizen of the town, to whom Girard Duvernoy, also a citizen, sold a forest clearning at Saint-Aubin for the sume of six pounds Basel currency. The Emonnots, as it may be written, originate in the village of Bethoncourt where we find them by 1444, and where they multiplied over the centuries. They spread to Montbéliard and the villages of Exincourt, Raynans, Saint-Julien and Issans.
GAUDRY, Gadry, Godry, Jodry: This Montbéliard name is first known under the form Gaudry, said to be equivalent to the German word Waldric (powerful). It became widespread throughout Montbéliard. There were Gadrys at Bethoncourt from 1444, Jodrys at Bavans in 1443 and a little later at Présentevillers, Dung, Lougres, Longevelle, Tremoins and Laire. Even in Montbéliard we find both spellings; Gaudry and Jodry were saddlers, weavers and tailors from the 16th century. It may be noted that the name appears in a list of citizens of Montbéliard from 1391: a potter named Huguenin dit Gaudry.
GROSREGNAULD, Grosrenaud: It derives from Regnauld or Renaud, which in turn come from ragin (council) and waldan (government). We find Grosrenaud (variously spelled) at Bondeval in the 15th century; at Roches-lésBlamond, Blamont, Vandoncourt, Dannemarie, Dasle and Villars-lés-Blamont in the 16th century. There was even a Petitrenaud at Tavey in the 15th century. Grosrenauds were found (with some exceptions) all over the territory of the lordship of Blamont. Some Grosrenaud left the locality: Pierre Grosrenaud from Roches was pastor of Saint-Georges in Montbéliard as deacon 1785-88, then was titular pastor of Couthenans. Two descendants of the old stock at Bondeval, Charles-Henri and Georges-Frédéric Grosrenauld, were talented engravers.
JEANPERIN, Jeanperrin (Jehan Prin): Ever since family names started in the 15th century we had Jehan Prin, Jehan Perin, Jehan Perrin, Jeanperrin at Lougres. A century later there were some at Longevelle, a very nearby village, and later still at Beutal. The surname belongs to Lougres where it has always been and from which is spread elsewhere. There have been many inspectors, veterinarians, etc., of the name, as well as Jules and Louis Jeanperrin, industrialists at Glay.
JONEY: The first Joneys recorded in the archives were those about 1520 at Brevilliers under the form Jonney. In the 17th century several spellings were used in the same place: Joney, Jouené, even Jonas. There were Joné at Bussurel and Raynans at the same period. A little later we meet with Joneys at Issans, where they remain to the present. Some isolated families of this name existed, such as that at Dampierre-lés-Bois in the 17th century. The origin of the name may be found in the given name Jehan and also Jonas (then one said Jonesse), which were widely used.
LAURILLARD: This name came from the Berenese Jura to Montbéliard in the 16th century. The first Loreillard (Lorillard or Laurillard) who appeared was Vernier Lorillard who became a citizen of Montbéliard in 1592. The family was there from at least 1586 when the father, Pierre, was already upon arrival "citizen of Porrentruy". At that time, the document tells us, he was "old, unable to travel or manage his affairs as in the past, and had seven children still alive". Vernier, one of the eldest, seens to have been the most attentive to the father. All the Laurillards were artisans or merchants: bakers, a butcher, a hotel keeper, a goldsmith and a tinsmith can be counted. In the 18th century, Charles-Jerémie Laurillard, stockingmaker, had issue including Charles Léopold, called Charles, born in 1783, who collaborated with the great Cuvier. All the numerous Laurillard family descended from Pierre Loreillard of Porrentruy. While the name has been widespread, its main location remained the Town of Montbéliard.
LODS: In dialict lai lô, this is the front barn, where one spends the hours of rest; we sometimes say, drawing it out lai loue. On the other hand the right of transaction is called lods. The meaning of this very old Montbéliard name must be one or the other. At first Louz and Loz, it wound up fixed as Lods. It is generally agreed that the name, Louis, could have influenced formation of this name. The earliest Louz or Loz appear at Coisevaux in the 15th century, with Symon, called Symonin, son of Regnault Louz. These were the first in a long line of Lods there. We find Lods or Lodz about 1616 at Couthenans and Héricourt; then at Sainte Marie, Vernoy and Semondans a little later. In time the Lods spread beyond the region.
MAIGRAT, Maigrot, Maigret: This Montbeliard name originally was a nickname meaning maigre (thin) and is found in the late 15th century at Villars-lés-Blamont. In lists of 1506 the tax collector met with several families of Maigrat of Maigrot at Blamont. In 1533, three Maigrots from Villars were among the bidders for clearings: Jehan, Estienne and Henry. Estienne finally stayed at Montbéliard as ruhier (wheelwright) and citizen in 1550. In 1559 another Maigrot of Villars, Pequegnot Jehan (or little John) also was made a citizen. Pierre Maigrot became grangier (farmer) at Sainte-Suzanne, and in 1587 he conducted several transactions with Dasle and Vandoncourt. In 1590 there were Maigrots at Audincourt and Glay. Then in 1600 we find some at Allondans; in 1608 at Blamong. In 1632 and 1643 two Maigrots became citizens of Montbéliard : Jehan from Allondans and Pierre from Blamont. A headmaster of Saint-Eloi in Montbéliard was Marc Maigrot (17th century). Another branch of Maigrot came from Montbard near Dijon to Montbéliard in 1691, in the person of Jacques, son of Jehan, shoemaker, who started a family line there.
MAILLARD, Mailiart: This may mean one who held the mallet, or come from the term maille, a small coin. One authority derives it from the German word Magilhard, meaning enduring strength. It first show up at Désandans, ca. 1449. The 1490 tax rolls at Montbéliard mention one Huguenin Maillard, chappuis (carpenter). The name appears also at Mandeure after 1494. In 1502 Maillart, alias Mesliéres, was at Montbéliard. Maillards who seem to have come from Désandans appear in 1524 at Semondans. Maillards have been at Blamont from the turn of the 16th Century. At Mesliéres appeared the new branch of Antoine Maillard dit Salin. His descendants originated the name Salins at Hérimoncourt at the end of the 16th century.
MAILLARD Also at that time a Faivre family in Blamont took on the name Maillard which stayed with them. It followed from the marriage in 1614 of Richard Faivre of Villars-lés-Blamont with Barbotte (Barbe) Maillard from Blamont. Their two names were joined together. The Maillards expanded also to Audincourt, Vandoncourt, Glay and Beaucourt, and early in the 18th century they settled also in the region about Héricourt and Echenans-sous-Mont-Vaudois. In 1703, a teacher, Jean Maillard, came from Blamont to Echenans, where he married Catherine Charles dit Rochefort from Héricourt. Their four sons (of seven children) founded the Maillard family there.
MAIRET, Mairot: The diminutive of Maire is Mairet or Mairot. In 1544, Jehan from Tremoins was at Badeval. He seems to have belonged to a Maire family at Trémoins. Soon his surname became Mairet. There were Mairets at Issans in 1494, and in 1530 a Mairet from Beveuge as well as a Mairot is mentioned in the village. The Mairets are found in 1484 at Clairegoutte, in 1564 at Etobon, about 1704 at Brevilliers, and finally at Héricourt under the form Mairot dit DuBois, which leads one to suspect a Swiss origin, since at that time Mayrots were noted at Roches-lés-Blamont as coming from Switzerland.
Merat derives from Mairot and is widespread around Dambenois, where we find both Merots and Merats from the 15th century until the present time, usually spelled Merot. They were also at Nommay in the 16th century, while in Chapmey lived Francois, son of Adam Merot, who became a citizen of Montbéliard in 1565. (See Mériot).
MASSON, Maceon, Macon: Clearly the trade of mason is the source of this name, written first Maceon, then Masson. In 1431 Henry Maceon from Dampvans (Swiss border) became a citizen of Montbéliard ; and in 1449 Vuillemin Maceon of the same village, became a citizen. Both men were shoemakers. Others from Glay came to Blamont. In 1505 one Richard Maceon, a woodworker, came to Blamont. We again find Richard and Daniel Masson at Blamont in 1655. Bondsmen of the name appear in the census of 1670 at Glay and Meslieres. We note the name Masson at Allenjoie and Coisevaux in the 16th century; at Grand-Charmont, Autechaux, Beaucourt, Bavans, Ecurcey, Nommay, Pierrefontaine and Meslieres in the 17th. There were Massons who were pastors, theologians who helped to originate the college.
MENEGAL, Menegol, Menegay, MENEGAUX: The stem Menegal or Menegaul under many forms means, according to one authority "Seigneur" and is borne by very many Montbéliard families. In 1443 we already had Menegay at Mandeure; in 1448 at Corcelles-lés-Mandeure; in 1494, Menegal and Menegaux at Dambenois and Montbéliard; in 1500 Menegal and Menegauit at Semondans, and in 1510 at Désandans; in 1542 Menegay at Blamont; in 1600 Menegal at Héricourt; and, in 1616, at Luze. In the 18th century Menegaux at Allenjoie and Courcelles-lés-Montbéliard. In modern times the name has become spelled Menegaux. A French branch settled in Alsace spells it Menegoz. The local family includes the scientist, Auguste Menegaux, while the Alsace family includes two professors of theology, Eugéné Ménégoz of Paris, and his nephew, Fernand Ménégoz of Strasbourg.
MERIOT, Mériat, Méryat, Mérian: the surname derives from Maire (mayor). In the form Mériat or Mérian it appears in the Swiss Jura; in Montbéliard as Mériot, Mérillot, Mériat. We find Pierre, Jehan, Jacques, Guillaume Mériot/Mériat at Villars-lés-Blamont from 1506 owing forced labour. The Mériot and Mathiot families of Villars often appear together. Jehan Mériot of Villars became free and citizen at Héricourt, and made his will with his wife, Marguerite Maréchal. In 1564 Jacques Mériot became free upon payment of 8 golden écus. A Mériot family from Urach, Wurttemberg appeared in 1655, making contracts.
After 1635 the Mériot disappear from Villars and turn up at Vandoncourt where they had come in the 16th century. In the 1670 census we see Benoît Mériot, age 30, bondsman, with his wife, Judith George, and a 1-year-old son, Adam. The family remained at Vandoncourt until modern times. Blaise Mériot, pastor of Allenjoie (died 1944) and historian, came from this family, extended into Beaucourt.
METTETAL, Matetaul, Mathetaux, Matteta: the cradle of this family is Glay. In 1431 the name was not yet fixed, so we speak of Richard dit Thieballat, surnamed Matetaul, or in dialect Mateta or Metteta, which can only suggest that Mathieu or Mathey is the origin of the name. It also seems to resemble the name Mattatis in the Book of Maccabees, itself a derivative of Mathieu. We certainly pronounce it Mettetâ and it is written variously, according to how the sounds were heard, until the surname was fixed as Mettetal. We can see that "tal" is simply the French spelling of French dialect, sounding "tâ".
The Mettetals were often millers. We find them in the 16th century at Hérimoncourt, Couthenans, Rougegoutte near Belfort, Luze; then in the 17th century at Etupes, Montbéliard , Seloncourt, Villars-les-Blamong, Liebvillers, Montécherous, Valentigney, Beaulieu, Nommay, etc. We also note at Montbéliard in 1513, Guenin Maithetal, marshal, and in 1634 Guyon Mettetal. The Mettetal family were extremely mobile, being widely extended and producing numerous officials such as schoolmasters, judges, etc. Pierre Mettetal, an old master at Valentigney, directed the former Model School and was principal of Cuvier College.
MORELOT, Morlot, Mourlot: Morelot is the diminutive of Morel, very frequently found in our ancient lists of names. Morlots from Fontenoy-le-Château were at Chagey about 1586; Nicolas and Joseph Morlot founded a forge there. From this family came the Morlet surgeons and physicians at Montbéliard from the 16th and 17th centuries. We had indigenous Morlots earlier than that. From 1489 they were at Vieux-Charmont; then we find them at Audincourt, Bart, Bethoncourt, Nommay, etc. Numerous Morlot and Mourlot belonged to guilds in Montbéliard; the Pays counted several pastors of the name in the 17th century: Léopold-Georges, Jacques-Christophe and Hugues Morlot.
PETREQUIN: rather a strange name, connected in old days with the village of Maurice, where it appears from 1489. It spread by the end of that century to Colombier-Châtelot and Blussans. Finally, it appeared at Montbéliard where Jehan Pétrequin, haberdasher from Saint-Maurice, is entered in the book of citizens in 1542. Pétrequins appear in 1616 at Héricourt, and in Bavans, Brognard, Longevelle, Colombier-Fontaine, Courcelles-lés-Montbéliard , and Vieux-Charmont. All these Pétrequins were derived more or less directly from Maurice. We find Girard Pétrequin at Echevanne in the 18th century as husband of Anne-Judith Lobelot. One of their descendants, Jean-Georges Pétrequin, husband of Margeurite Maillard, was a prominent church elder.
The name is also found in Switzerland. We discover that Pétrequin originated as Petrus Quintus in the ecclesiastical language of the Middle Ages. In French it is Peter the fifth. We may suggest that there was a family having five boys named Pierre, of whom the fifth founded a Pétrequin family. Examples of families having several sons of the same given name and a distinguishing epithet were known in that time and place.
REGNAULD, Regnault, Renaud and Grosrenaud: the given name Regnauld or Renaud (Ragin -council; waldin -government) was widespread at an early period, with various versions and diminutives, deriving prestige from Renaud of Burgundy (13th century) who awarded freedoms to the Town of Montbéliard , and who ceded the lordship of Blamont in 1283 to his uncle by marriage, Thiebaud IV of Neuchâtel. There are many separate families of Renaud in Montbéliard. In the 15th century there were Renauds at Désandans, Montbéliard and Valentigney. They have stayed in the last village, peaceful and hard-working. The diminutive form Regnauldot exists at Roches-lés-Montbéliard and Dung. There were also Regnaulds at Allenjoie, Courcelles-lés-Montbéliard , Exincourt and Mandeure in the 16th century; at Dung, Ecurcey, Héricourt, Audincourt and Vandoncourt in the 18th century
In some places at the same times we find Renauds and Grosrenauds; Bondeval in the 15th century; at Roches-lés-Blamong, Vandoncourt, Blamont, Dannemarie, Dasle and Villars-lés-Blamont in the 16th century. There were also the Petitrenaud at Tavey in the 15th century. Grosrenauds extended pretty well across the ancient territory of the lordship of Blamont. The Grosrenaud family included a pastor and two distinguished engravers
RIGOULOT, Rigoullot, Rigolot: this truly Montbéliard name comes from the verb rigloer (to amuse oneself). This is possible but it is no more certian than the alternative root rigloe (ditch near a dwelling). We find families of the name after 1451 to the present at Raynans. Pierre Vuillemenot and Guenin Rigoulot of Raynans figure in an agreement of 1522 between the people of Raynans and those of Echenans-sur-l'Etang. In 1499 Huguenin George, alias Rigolot, makes an isolated appearance ar Brevillers. About 1530 a Rigoulot family is found at Valentigney. After about 1620 there were Rigoulots at Exincourt. Léopold-Frédéric Rigoulot from Exincourt was deacon at Montbéliard ca. 1723. Later, two noted theologians appear: Jean-Frédéric Rigoulot of Sochaux (left Tubingen 1732) and Pierre Joseph Rigoulot of Montbéliard (graduated Tubingen 1737). Moreover, there were Rigoulots in the 18th century, not only at Montbéliard , but at Courcelles-lés-Montbéliard, Issans, Longevelle, Etupes and Allenjoie.
ROBERT: this surname appears all over the francophone world, deriving from the germanic name hrod-behrt (famous hero). We have indigenous Roberts in Montbéliard : Anthoine Robert is mentioned there in 1564. The mass of our Roberts came from romance Switzerland, particularly from the Neuchâtel region. In 1666 a Robert family from Chaux-de-Fonds is found at Montécheroux. A little later they were also spread from Locle to Brevilliers and Montbéliard. The Robert families have become so intermingled that to disentangle them now requires specialized genealogical research.
VIENOT, Vyenot: it seems to us to derive from Vivien, a well-known medieval character found in "Chansons de Geste", or from the rather obscure Saint-Vivien. One way or other, Vivien is the source of the given name Vienot, then of the surname. In 1488, for example, we have Vienot Valilton at Brevilliers. A Vienot family was at Aibre in the 15th century, and a bit later at Semon-dans, Raynans, Issans, Coisevaux and Désandans. Also they were at Pierrefontaine-lés-Blamont, Blamont, Glay, Roches, Seloncourt and Grand-Charmont.
There were Viénots at Montbéliard very early. In 1605 the book of citizens mentions Estienne Viénot, a mason. In 1639 another Estienne Viénot from Blamont was a shoemaker. A Viénot family existed in the former lordship of Neuchatel-Burgundy at Vaivre, near Pont-de-Roide. Jehan Viénot was found at the same date at Montbéliard. Two pastors may be noted: Jehan Viénot from Blamont (died 1629) and Jehan Viénot, probably his son, who died in 1691, after serving in several parishes.
VILLAQUIER, Vuillequel, Vuillequey: a very old name, taken from the Latin roots villa and aqua. It thus suggests in its early form a dwelling beside the water. The earliest spellings preserved from the 15th century were Villaquier, Vuillaquier and Villauquier. Spelling developed differently in various areas. Therefore we have at Bavans: Vellauquier, Vuillaquie and Vuillequey; Vuilleque and Vuillequel at Bart; Vuillequier at Exincourt; Vuillequel in the 18th century at Seloncourt, Héricourt, Aibre, Allondans, Laire, etc. The name also existed in other regions, formerly in Franche-Comté and elsewhere. It is widespread in our industrial centres under the current forms Vuillequey and Vuillequez.
Pastor Mathiot gives no entries for the surnames Dauphinee, Jolimois, Langille and Tattrie, names which reached Nova Scotia. A few comments can be offered to assist those having an interest in these names.
DAUPHINEE: The name suggests one who came from the Dauphine, an area centred about Grenoble and which passed to French rule in the 14th century. The name appears in records of Beutal early in the 1700s.
JOLIMOIS: Unless the old name Jolibois, found in Chagey in the 16th century, transformed itself into the form Jolimois, this is not an old Montbéliard name. Families of Jolimois occur in early 18th century records in the Lordship of Etobon, particularly at Belverne and Chenebier.
LANGILLE: This name does not appear in early lists of residents in the principality, and is confined to an area on the eastern fringes of the Pays. By the early 18th century a family of the name was established in the vicinity of Dampierre-les-Bois.
TATTRIE: The family appears in the neighbourhood of the forges at Chagey in 1704, which suggests they had come into the region in order to work at that industry.Finally to make the benefit of these translations readily accessible to our readers, here is a list of modern spellings which can be related to the foregoing entries.
|Modern Spelling||Refer to Entry
|Marriett, Marriott||Mairet, Mériot