The Centre for Imaging Research and Advanced Materials Characterization
(CIRAMC Centre) specializes in development of new high frequency acoustic
and acousto-optic imaging systems and conducts research in advanced principles
and methods for the imaging and quantitative characterization of surface,
sub-surface and bulk materials structures.
The mission of the Centre, which have been jointly formulated by its founding
partners, DaimlerChrysler AG and University of Windsor, are:
- Generation of fundamental new knowledge in the science of quantitative
non-destructive evaluation of materials through study of the relationships
between material properties and imaging phenomena, using principles
of applied physics, physical acoustics, acousto-optics and solid state
- Application of fundamental new knowledge to the development of commercial
NDE procedures and equipment for rapid and accurate materials characterization.
- Education and development of highly qualified specialists in advanced
materials characterization and imaging research, notably, in quantitative
NDE technologies based on advanced imaging techniques.
- Creation and presentation of training programs in quantitative NDE
technologies for advanced imaging procedures.
- Facilitation of international cooperation in applied solid state physics,
imaging research and NDE technologies for advanced materials characterization,
through collaborative research, technology transfer and development
of international standards