Resume - Arthur W. Rhyno
Co-owner. Essex Free Press.
Leddy Library, University of Windsor
Phone (Office): (519) 253-4232 Ext. 3163
- 1993 - Present - Systems Department, Leddy Library, University of Windsor.
- Duties include selecting, developing, and/or installing appropriate
hardware/software for library activities, including internal LAN and campus
wide applications. Supporting Voyager Library Management System.
Trouble-shooting communications with campus networks and developing network
applications. Researching and investigating new technologies for library
- 1989 - 1993 (Adjunct Appointment 1993 - Present). Assistant Systems
Librarian, Queen Elizabeth
II Library, Memorial University of
- Designing, managing and maintaining automated systems in the library,
including locally developed library system, various CD-ROM databases on a
local area network; and departmental, commercial, and administrative databases
in the SPIRES database management system.
- 1990 - 1993 - Instructor for Computers in Libraries course,
Department of Continuing Studies, Memorial University of Newfoundland.
- Developing course materials, assignments and exams for students.
Conducting teleconferences and giving lectures to students on library uses of
computers and how to maintain the hardware/software necessary for library
- 1988 - Co-op Work Term, Information Technology Services, National Library of Canada.
- Assessing the potential of new technologies for Canadian library
community. Researching and writing reports explaining various technologies of
relevance to libraries.
- 1987 - Library Assistant, Business School Library, University of Western Ontario.
- Providing reference and general library services.
- ORACLE, InstantDB, MySQL, SPIRES, some familiarity with Informix, Progress, and
- Enterprise Java beans (EJB), Castor, CORBA, .Net
Information Landscapes & Spaghetti Code.
Zap Your Pram. Cavendish, Prince Edward Island. October, 2003
Documents Come Alive: Sources for Local History & Genealogy.
Humanities Resource Group. University of Windsor. September, 2003
Top Tech Trends, (panel discussion). OLA Regional Institute,
Windsor, Ontario. May 2003. OLA Regional Institute, St. Catharines, Ontario.
April 2003. OLA Super Conference 2003, Toronto. February, 2003
Librarians are from Mars, IT is from Venus, (with Jean Foster). OLA Super Conference 2003, Toronto. February, 2003
IT Projects on a Shoestring, (with Geoff Sinclair). OLA Super Conference 2003, Toronto. February, 2003
How to Talk to Technical People, SOHLIN Annual Meeting. Windsor. April, 2002
Windsor Internet Booking System Workshop, Working with Open Source Preconference. LITA/ALA. Emory University. Atlanta, Georgia. June, 2002
Is XML in Your Future? NASIG. San Antonio, Texas. May, 2001
Web Portals: Gateways to Information
, (with Ken Roberts), OLA Super Conference 2001, Toronto, Ontario,
February 2, 2001
The Impact of Information Technology on Academic Libraries
, (with Mark Haslett and Walter Giesbrecht), OLA Super Conference 2001,
Toronto, Ontario, February 2, 2001
Pytheas and the Problem of Phoenician Tin,
Netspeed 2000, Calgary, Alberta, Saturday, September 30,
XML: Not a Dirty Acronym Anymore,
CLA ETIG Preconference, Edmonton, Alberta, Wednesday, June 21, 2000.
- Open Source and Libraries,
OLA Super Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Thursday, February 3, 2000
Metadata & Markup, OLITA Digital Library Workshop, Mississauga,
Ontario, October 29, 1999
Out Your Own Browsers, Access '99, Guelph, Ontario, Monday, October 25,
Electronic Text from Paper & Pixel, EPIG Preconference on Raising a
Digital Library Project, CLA '99, Toronto, Wednesday, June 16, 1999
Readiness for the Millennium, OLA Super Conference, Toronto, Ontario,
Thursday January 21, 1999
- PCs and
Networking: The Upgrading Dilemma, OLA Super Conference, Toronto, Ontario,
Thursday January 21, 1999
Compilers & Other Programming Tools for Locking Down Browsers ,
Microcomputer Security Workshop, Hamilton Public Library & Thunder Bay
Public Library, Oct. - Nov. 1998
- Java and
ActiveX for Libraries, OLA
Preconference Seminar, Toronto, Ontario, Thursday, Jan. 22, 1998.
- VRML to
Navigate Information Space, Access 97, Calgary,
Alberta, Monday, September 29, 1997.
- Sessions on Internet
Technology at CLA
'97, Ottawa, Ontario, June 18-22, 1997.
& ActiveX: What Are They and Why Do They Matter ?, APLA Preconference Workshop,
St. John's, Newfoundland, Thursday, May 22, 1997.
the Library on the Internet, OLA
'97, Toronto, Feb. 8, 1997.
- Java -
Caffeine-Induced Additive For Your Library Service, CLA '96, Halifax, Nova
Scotia, June 6, 1996.
Ways of Providing Internet Access to Your Library Catalogue - Z39.50, Web
Forms, Telnet, etc., CLA '96 Internet
Preconference, Halifax, Nova Scotia, June 5, 1996.
- Building the Library Home
Page,Workshop on Instruction in Library Use, Wilfrid Laurier
University, May 16, 1996.
Information in the Virtual Haystack, Presentation for Graduate Internet
course, University of Windsor, November, 1995.
into the User's Desktop,
Gateways and Browsers,
University of New Brunswick, Oct. 23-24, 1995.
- WAIS &
Z39.50, Presentation for Graduate Internet course, University of
Windsor, March, 1995.
- Sessions on Z39.50 and World Wide Web resources at "Clients and Servers:
Information Access in the 1990s", Memorial University of Newfoundland,
- "Batch Processing Workshop", CLA '93, Hamilton, Ontario, June 1993.
- "Alternative Microcomputer-based Interfaces to SPIRES", SPIRES 1991
- "Networking CD-ROMs", SPIRES 1990 Fall Workshop
Volunteer Work President, Past-President, Treasurer Ontario Library Information
Technology Association (OLITA), a division of the Ontario Library Association (1999 -
Architect, Open Source Digital
Clair Area Community Access Network (1995-1996)
- Board of Directors
- Chair, Technical Planning Group
- Using Open Source Systems for Digital Libraries. Libraries Unlimited. ISBN: 159158065X. 2003.
- "From Library Systems to Mainstream Software". Library Hi Tech. 21(3). 2003.
- "Database Driven XML with Zope and Castor" in XML in Libraries. Edited by Roy Tennant.
Neal Schuman. ISBN: 1555704433. 2002
- "XML and Relational Databases: Uses and Opportunities for Libraries",
OCLC Systems & Services. 18(2). 2002
- "The Quantum Physics of Cataloguing", Access. Fall/Winter 2003.
- "Libraries on the Grid", InsideOLITA. Fall/Winter 2002
- "The End of the ILS",
InsideOLITA. Fall/Winter 2001.
- "100 Years of Technology in Libraries: What's Next?",
Access. Winter 2000/2001
- "Information Technology & Libraries in the New Millennium",
InsideOLITA. Winter 2000.
- "The Linux Connection", Access. Winter 1999/2000
- "RDF and Metadata: Adding Value to the Web", Feliciter. Sept.
- "Y2K: Too Close for Comfort", Access. Fall 1998.
- "Java in Context", Feliciter. January 1998.
- "Maximizing the Medium: Batch Processing with CD-ROM Products and Backseat
Driver", CD-ROM Professional. November 1992.
- Contributions to 2nd edition of Computers in Libraries. Course
manual. Dept. of Continuing Studies, Memorial University of Newfoundland.
- Survey on Information Technology Projects in Canadian Libraries.
ITA Working Paper #18-E. National Library of Canada. 1989.
2004 Ontario College and University Library Association's Academic Librarian of the Year.
2003 Highly Commended Award. Emerald Literati Club.
1992 Canadian Association of College and University Libraries Innovation
Last revised: Jan. 2004
Send questions, comments regarding this page to Art Rhyno